DENTAL HANDPIECE MAINTENANCE
Handpiece Maintenance Instructions
- In order to always provide the handpiece with clean, dry air, water accumulated in the compressor must be drained out Daily
- Operate the handpiece at pressures of 35 to 40 pounds per square inch. The handpiece is engineered to attain speeds of 350,000 RPM at 35 pounds and 400,000 RPM at 40 pounds.
- THE HANDPIECE MUST BE OPERATED ONLY WITH A BUR OR BUR BLANK. DO NOT OPERATE EMPTY
- Clean External Surface: Remove bur from handpiece and scrub with a toothbrush or 2” x 2” gauze using warm tap water. DO NOT IMMERSE HANDPIECE.
- Dry: Thoroughly dry handpiece using gauze, paper towel or air syringe.
- Clean/Lubricate Internal Surface: Using a combination cleaner/lubricant , spray handpiece in drive air hole and in chuck.
- Expel Cleaner/Lubricant: Reinsert bur into handpiece head, connect handpiece to tubing and run for 5 seconds to thoroughly expel debris and excess lubricant.
- Clean Fiberoptic Bundle: Using a cotton swab with isopropyl alcohol, wipe the surface on both ends of handpiece.
- Bag and Cycle in Autoclave: Place handpiece into autoclave bag or pouch. Cycle as per autoclave manufacturer’s instructions. DO NOT EXCEED 275º F (135º C).
- Cool Down and Lubricate: Allow handpiece to return to room temperature. Lubricate handpiece as per instructions listed above. Expel excess lubricant as per previous instructions.
Use warm tap water to scrub the exterior of handpiece.
Expel excess lubricant from handpiece by running it for 5 seconds after cleaning and lubricating.
Use separate cans of lubricant before and after sterilization to prevent contamination.
Clean both ends of fiberoptic bundle with a cotton swab dipped in isopropyl alcohol.
Use autoclave bags and pouches with indicators to protect handpiece.
DON’T immerse handpiece in water or chemical disinfectants/sterilants.
DON’T use any type of disinfectant on handpiece.
DON’T sterilize handpiece with bur inserted.
DON’T exceed 275º F (135º C) in autoclave or chemiclave.
DON’T dry heat or heat transfer sterilize.
DON’T operate handpiece without bur inserted in chuck.